Lawson Anglican Church Emmanuel – God with Us

History

The site of the first regular Church of England services in the Blue Mountains was supposedly at Bulls Camp, between Linden and Woodford. The use of homes and later Railway Station waiting rooms for worship also appears to have been widespread in Blue Mountains towns such as Lawson, Hazelbrook and Woodford.

In 1880, the first church at Lawson was constructed and the parish of Lawson-Springwood created. In 1888, Christ Church, Springwood and Holy Trinity, Wentworth Falls were dedicated on the same day by Bishop Alfred Barry.

The new Emmanuel Church at Lawson was finally built. It was dedicated on October 23, 1910 by Archbishop John Charles Wright. The old church became the parish hall. In 1971 and again in 1976 the hall was extended and this allowed its use as a pre-school centre.

Branch churches in later years were at Woodford and Hazelbrook. The Woodford site was sold in 1994 as it was considered within a 5 minute drive to the main church. The sale enabled the extensions at Emmanuel Church and renovations to St. James at Hazelbrook to be undertaken. These sympathetic extensions were done and dedicated in 1996.

At the opening of the newly completed hall and church extensions the congregation sang “Rejoice! Rejoice! Christ is in you” with new meaning.


An ordinance for the sale of the Hazelbrook site was already in place when the building was destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday, 2004.